Friday, April 22, 2016

Dogs & Advertising

Hey everyone! This week I ran across an ad for Budweiser that I hadn't seen in a while. It aired in 2014 and took the internet by storm. If you know me well or have ever ridden in my car or sat next to me on the couch, you'd know that I love commercials. This may be surprising to some of you because most people are so annoyed by commercials. They are way too long between segments of your favorite TV shows. I agree sometimes, but often I don't fast forward if there are good ones on. Sure, somebody is always trying to sell you something with a corny jingle or yelling at you or however else. The thing is, I love these jingles - my boyfriend Kevin knows this quite well. I am always reciting the commercials, in particular for Alarm Force, Michael & Son's, and Crazy Kevin Powell car ads. My friend Francie and I once memorized every word to a CreditReport.com commercial - "I was shopping for a new car, which one's me? A cool convertible or an SUV? Too bad I didn't know my credit was wack. Now I'm driving off the lot in a used sub-compact...etc." Hopefully there's not a video of us doing that online. If you find one, enjoy.


So back to this Budweiser Ad.... it popped up on my Facebook news feed the other day and I was brought to tears by its message once again. **Another thing you should know about me - anything with dogs, military families or love stories will bring the tears welling to the surface of my eyes. My roommate Madalyn always gives me the side glance during the sad part of a movie to check if I'm crying... and most of the time I am. She knows me well. This particular Budweiser ad features a yellow lab and his dad. As he grows up, they do everything together. One night his dad doesn't come home after a night of going out with friends. You instantly think... NOOOO he died, he's never going to come back and his dog is going to be left all alone with no one to love him. This is the teary part folks. But thankfully, that's not the ending. He comes in the door the next morning just as the dog has about given up hope. He says, as the dog smiles and runs to him, "Hey, I'm sorry, I decided I shouldn't drive home last night. I stayed at Dave's." As the video says, "Make a plan to make it home." Get home safely to your puppies and your people, they need you! Drunk driving is never the right option. Be safe and stay safe. Always remember, whether you have a dog at home or not, #FriendsAreWaiting.

I am always intrigued by advertisements that use dogs, and I know I'm not the only one. Those new Subaru commercials with the golden retriever mom driving and the puppy in the car seat, the Budweiser Clydesdales commercials with the puppy and the horse becoming best friends, etc. They all hit me in just the spot to get a reaction. These ads pull on our emotions. Dogs give us this sense of comfort, of love, of friendship. We care deeply for them and they do the same in return. Ads with dogs are just genius. I salute you, advertising people. You've got the right idea.

Until next time,
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment