Friday, April 22, 2016

Denali

Denali
This week I had the opportunity to meet yet another sweet little golden retriever puppy. She was so fluffy that my friend Kellum asked, "Do you think golden retriever puppies are fluffier than they used to be?" Haha I don't know the answer to that, but I do agree that she had a beautiful golden coat and will certainly grow into a perfect adult dog.

This particular little pup's name is Denali and she belongs to a recent grad and nurse named Kendall. I owe all of you seniors and recent grads a big thank you for getting puppies this year, probably against your parents' wishes. You're all great support for the success of this blog.

Funny enough though, I met Denali while she was being babysat by my friend's boyfriend's brother. Remember the six degrees of separation theory? This is the theory that we're connected to anyone through six connections. We're pretty much there in this situation. I met Denali at lunchtime at Merritt's on Monday and we hit it off right away. She's a four-month-old golden retriever with about as much spunk and energy as you can imagine a puppy might have. She pulled me all over the place in a desperate search for bacon amongst the gravel. As other dog's approached, she let out her first barks of the day. Once the other little dogs came over to greet her, she played gently and was so happy for the puppy-to-puppy interaction.

Denali & New Friends
The curiosity of young dogs in particular is so intriguing to me as a bystander. I love to watch how interested they are in every little thing. Every smell, person, sight, and sound is something new and exciting. Someone once explained to me that babies often cry just because they're introduced to something new and they don't know what to think of it. I think dogs are the same way. They have their natural instincts with people and their surroundings, but they're often caught off guard by new things. Same with us, really. Ever tried talking to your dog on FaceTime? They recognize your voice, but they can't find you. Of course, they instantly bark. If you haven't yet tried this, do it. My family's dog Crockett tilts his head to the side, looking like he's trying to figure out what's going on. It's so interesting to imagine what they're thinking.

That type of curiosity about new things is something I try to act on in my life. Being curious helps you to try new things, learn about new things, and get the most out of what the world has to offer us. In the LDOC for Branding of Me today, the professor Gary Kayye (@BrandingofMe) inspired us all to try new things and to be curious. I may or may not go to a new place and not book a hotel room until 3pm, but we'll see. If you want to be bold like that, be my guest and get the @HotelTonight app. As I prepare to leave UNC soon, I plan to act on my curiosity and lead the most impactful life that I can. Thanks for inspiring me Gary the Professor and Denali the Puppy. It's the little things.

Until next time,
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment