Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Branding of Dogs

Credit: Snoopy and the Gang

Hello everyone! In case you didn't already know, I'm currently in a course called the Branding of Me, and Dogs of Chapel Hill is a major part of that. In my first blog post called I'm a Dog Person, I discussed why I love dogs and what mine have meant to me throughout my life. Dogs are inspirational in their loyalty, compassion, companionship, and unrelenting awareness of your well-being. These characteristics give us an example of what kind of people we should strive to be. If only we all greeted each other as our dogs greet us... if only we showed compassion for every person who looked like they were having a bad day... if only we could relinquish our pride and love people unconditionally no matter what hurtful things they said when they were angry. You realize that dogs are EXCEPTIONAL creatures when you step back and look at it all in "people terms".

This fall, I participated in interviews for my first full-time career job - a pretty overwhelming and exciting experience to take part in. I enjoyed hearing about the companies, their missions, and the groundbreaking methods they're using to change the world. As I sat in an auditorium seat at the MetLife Women in Technology event, the speaker began to explain why the Peanuts characters, and particularly Snoopy, are icons for the company. Snoopy, a dog, represents loyalty. For customers, employees, and any person who may question the integrity of the company and the people who run things.
"Since 1985 Snoopy has served as an ambassador for MetLife, enhancing the warm, approachable quality that is important to the MetLife brand. Our logo and Snoopy work together to unify the many communications provided by various entities of our company." - MetLife, Snoopy as Brand Icon
This branding strategy stuck with me and I found myself in the final round interview room answering a question from the HR director about "why Snoopy?". I certainly will not forget "Why Snoopy?" and thankfully I didn't on that day. In November, I accepted an offer as a Business Systems Analyst in Regional Application Development at MetLife, where I start my career in July. I am thrilled to take on this role and quite honestly humbled to be represented by a dog.

Until next time,
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment