Monday, March 7, 2016

Mindful or Mind Full? Be Like Your Dog.


Hello everyone! I saw this picture on Instagram last night and wanted to share it with all of you. We've talked a lot about mindfulness in the Branding of Me this semester, so this post quickly caught my attention. The caption was "Why your dog is happier than you." This is an interesting concept to think about and the illustration above describes mindfulness in such a simple but meaningful way.

As you can see, the human is walking along with a million things running through his head. Meanwhile, the dog is being present, thinking only of what's in front of him. The dog is appreciating the trees and the sun that lie in front of him, while those are not even in the human's thought bubble. Practicing mindfulness is about being like the dog in this image. It's about being present in your life and in the current moment, being aware of your surroundings, and appreciating what's in front of you right now. 

As I complete my final semester at Carolina, I'm realizing the importance of this very concept. We beat Duke on Saturday, today the sky is blue, I'm healthy, happy, and I'm at Carolina!! It is truly a great time to be alive (S/O Emory). Sure, I could be down on myself thinking of all the "coulda/shoulda/woulda" moments of college, how soon my friends and I will no longer live within a mile of each other, and how soon YoPo won't be quite as close to home. However, I'm trying to be mindful here! It's "midterm week", yeah yeah. But Spring Break is next week! Exciting things are happening and there are so many great things to look forward to. As my mom told me this morning, "Everyone says that these are the best 4 years of your life. They are partially right, but these are really only 4 years of all the great years in your life." Thanks for some perspective Mom. Moms really do know their stuff, don't they?

So from here on out, I'll go with the cliche motto of "Don't be sad that it's over, be glad that it happened." And the greatest part is.... it's not over yet!!! Cheers to the many happy college moments and other happy times to come. Let's be mindful instead of mind full. Be like the dog. Have a happy day because it's ALWAYS a great day to be a Tar Heel.

Until next time,
Lily

**If anyone knows the original artist, please let me know so that I can credit them.**

No comments:

Post a Comment